The first Test will be held in Nagpur from February 9 to February 13.
Josh Hazlewood, Australia’s top pacer, is expected to be ruled out of the first Test in Nagpur, which is set to begin on February 9. The 32-year-old is still recovering from an Achilles injury to his left leg sustained during last month’s Sydney Test against South Africa. He hasn’t been very active in Australia’s pre-season camp in Alur, so there’s a lot of concern about his availability.
According to reports, the pacer will bowl for the first time on February 7, after which a decision will be made. Given his recent heroics with the ball against the West Indies and the Proteas, Scott Boland is likely to replace him in the playing XI if he misses out. Meanwhile, given the short time span between the first two Tests, Hazlewood’s availability for the second Test is also in doubt.
“I’m not certain about the first Test. It’s still a few days away, but it’s approaching quickly. The second one follows immediately after the first. So, over the next week and a few days, we’ll play it by ear, and hopefully Tuesday goes well,” Hazlewood said.
Notably, Hazlewood has only played four Tests in the last two years. In the meantime, he has been plagued by injuries and has never played more than one match in a Test series. The cricketer admitted that it has been frustrating for him, but that he hopes to change that this time.
“It’s been difficult playing one Test at a time. The first Test is always the most difficult to play, and they get easier as the series progresses until you get to the other side, the end of the series, and it becomes difficult again. “Hopefully, I’ll be able to string a couple together on this tour,” Hazlewood said.