IPL Season 11, also known as IPL 2018, was held from April 7 to May 27, 2018. The tournament featured the same eight teams as the previous season. Here is a brief history of the season:
- Chennai Super Kings emerged as champions of the season, defeating Sunrisers Hyderabad by 8 wickets in the final. Batting first, Sunrisers Hyderabad posted a total of 178/6, with Kane Williamson top-scoring with 47. In response, Chennai Super Kings chased down the target with nine balls to spare, thanks to Shane Watson’s unbeaten 117 off 57 balls.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kolkata Knight Riders finished third and fourth, respectively, and qualified for the playoffs. However, Sunrisers Hyderabad defeated Kolkata Knight Riders in the second qualifier to reach the final.
- Kane Williamson of Sunrisers Hyderabad won the Orange Cap for the leading run-scorer of the tournament, scoring 735 runs in 17 matches, including eight half-centuries. The Purple Cap for the leading wicket-taker of the season went to Andrew Tye of Kings XI Punjab, who took 24 wickets in 14 matches.
- The season saw some outstanding individual performances, including Rishabh Pant’s 128* off 63 balls for Delhi Daredevils against Sunrisers Hyderabad, KL Rahul’s 95* off 70 balls for Kings XI Punjab against Rajasthan Royals, and Shane Watson’s 106 off 57 balls for Chennai Super Kings against Rajasthan Royals.
- The tournament was not without its controversies, including a controversy over the ball-tampering scandal involving Australian cricketers Steve Smith and David Warner, and the non-selection of some top Indian players in the auction.
Overall, IPL Season 11 was another exciting and high-scoring tournament that saw some exceptional individual performances and some new talents emerging on the scene