There is no assurance that the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) acceptance of the warring Indian broadcasters’ main demand will result in a meaningful truce. The ICC told the Indian broadcasters on Wednesday (August 17) that the financing bid submission deadline had been postponed from August 22 to August 26 as requested by the broadcasters. However, the modification has not quite placated the angry Indian television officials, who claim it is insufficient.
The assessment paperwork must still be submitted by August 22 in Dubai.
“I’m not sure if it is a good thing or not, but there is still no assurance of the transparency, direction, and clarity we have been requesting for the bidding process. They told us it would be on August 26 rather than August 22. How does it alter the circumstance? They continue to withhold information about other parties’ bid amounts and their intended use of our offers “a company executive who confirmed the ICC message.
They had previously contended that the ICC’s request for the bidders to leave the bid with a third party for four days was unusual and an absurd request.
The Indian broadcasters believe the ICC is being difficult with them, perhaps because they have received commitments to participate from a few non-Indian partners. Another official made a suggestion that the entire process might end up in an Indian court: “The ICC may not come under the jurisdiction of the Indian courts but as for broadcasting of the ICC events in India, they can always be subject to the Indian legislation.”
Zee, Star, Viacom, and Sony, four Indian television giants, have not entered the mock auction, raising concerns about its usefulness given that it is unclear whether the bidding would advance to that point at all. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has the broadcast parties angry as well for ignoring their complaint.